The Intterra Aircraft Intel Tool provides near real-time access to view vector products (such as heat perimeters, retardant lines, hots spots, public safety points), color and infrared (IR) imagery, and video products. Many of these can be downloaded to share and use in GIS and other tools. Live mission location updates and imagery are reported in Intterra every 30 seconds.
Selecting and Monitoring a Mission
To get started, select and monitor an aircraft mission in Intterra:
- Select the Tools Menu. The Aircraft Intel Tool is usually in both the Operations and Plans/Intel workspaces.
- Select the Aircraft Intel Tool.
- Select a Mission (images collected in a given flight over a possibly wide area). Select the mission date and time with the aircraft tail number from the dropdown menu. NOTE: Times are in UTC for data collected by the Multi-Mission Aircraft (MMA).
- OR, Select an incident (images collected from possibly more than one aircraft mission, but for a single incident). If so, skip the mission selection and select an incident from that dropdown menu. You might want to review a previous mission's imagery for a specific incident.
- One of four mission Status options are displayed. Intterra checks for status updates every ten minutes if the status is Inactive or Planned, and every 30 seconds if the status is Airborne or Collecting.
- Refresh data, as desired (optional).
- Zoom to the extent of the data in its proper geographic location (optional).
- Toggling off Show Products provides a quick way to turn off all of the information in your view. Auto Update automatically updates products as they are added from the aircraft. Turn off Auto Update if you are experiencing performance issues (likely caused by a poor internet connection).
- Ensure Advanced View is selected to see a list of products, manage what you see, and download products from the mission or incident you selected. This option, however, is on by default.
One of more the following file products may be available from an aircraft mission:
Created automatically by the aircraft GPS:
- Aircraft Position: Aircraft location and flight parameters. This file includes ‘cookie trail,’ as provided by aircraft.
Created manually by the mission operator:
- Fire Retardant: Fire retardant application on the ground.
- Public Safety: Includes Public Safety incidents (BLUE points), Life Safety (YELLOW points, lines, or polygons), and All Hazard Events (GREEN points, lines, or polygons).
- Hot Spots: RED points representing hot spots.
- Fire Lines: Active fire front.
- Detections: Fire detection reports from wide area missions. These are displayed using a detection icon and include report information within the popup menu.
- Perimeters: Heat perimeter of a fire.
- Electro-Optical (EO): A color image from the sensor.
- Infrared (IR): A black and white image generated by the sensor’s infrared systems.
- Heat Source (HS): An image derived from the sensor’s infrared system that highlights heat sources.
- Video: Color and/or black and white infrared video from the sensor (with the location pin located on the map).
Viewing and downloading products
Selecting Advanced View provides a list of products and the ability manage what you see and download products. The interaction if different depending on the product type - vector, imagery, or video.
When a mission or incident is selected, all of the products are toggled on and visible on the map with the following exceptions:
- Imagery: Due to the size of the image files, only the most recent image automatically appears. However, an outline of the image extent is displayed so users can see the coverage.
- Videos: Videos only display when when the file is selected in the products list.
- Click products on and off in both header and individual files. The blue bar indicates whether a product is on or off.
- Click or hover over the More icon to open additional tools to...
- Download a KML of the file, and/or
- Zoom to where the image is located spatially within Intterra.
- Toggle products on and off in both header and individual files. The blue bar indicates whether a product is on or off. IMPORTANT! Turning on an image product only displays the outline of the image's extent. To view the image, select either Show warped image on map or Show un-warped image.
- Clicking on or hovering over the More icon opens additional tools to...
- Show warped image on map (imagery that is warped or “draped” over terrain). When selected, a gray box (outline) will appear in the Intterra Viewer and the image will load. The imagery may appear stretched and distorted as it is a quick “rectification” with the terrain.
- Show un-warped image. This image is a “Chip” of what is captured by the sensor. No terrain or geography metatags are associated with the imagery. The un-warped image will look very different than the warped image, as it is a capture of what the sensor is viewing (look angle, altitude, and no cardinal direction reference).
- Download product downloads a georeferenced KML image file to your computer or drive.
- Zoom to layer on map takes you to where the image is located spatially within Intterra.
NOTE: Image files are very very large. To enhance performance, a maximum limit has been set for the number of images initially loaded. If you load more, other image files will be turned off and a popup message will warn you. The maximum number of images for a PC is 16, and six for a mobile device.
- Click on the file name to open a video viewer. A pointer icon is displayed at the location of the video.
- Download the video file to your computer or drive.